Pages

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Online Royal Blue

What's this? A scan?
GUESS WHO FIXED THE SCANNER. Okay, so technically, I didn't fix it. But you know what? I feel really good about myself.

I bought three Online inks from a little stationery store in Taipei. I can't remember how much I paid for the three inks, exactly. I'll tell you that it was on the high side, though. Definitely more expensive than J. Herbin.

This test was done on Series 400 Strathmore drawing paper. I really like it. Sometimes I wish I could draw on it but no, I'm not going to do that. This paper is for ink. This is what I do for you.

The color is a very nice blue that's slightly purplish. I looked up royal blue on Wikipedia, and the web color is pretty close to what it looks like. My color correction isn't perfect, but I did my best (it's 8:44 right now, and the sun is setting... I have such terrible timing).

I use this ink for underlining and editing. I write in a variety of colors and I tend to use brighter colors for editing (such as J. Herbin Vert Pre).

This is an incredibly well-behaved ink. Maybe it's because it's currently in a Lanbitou 329, which is quite dry and very fine. It doesn't feather or bleed. There is a little bit of shading, but not enough to call it a shading ink. It is slightly waterproof in that you can still see what you've written after a good soak.

I test dry times on regular ol' 20 lb. (70 gram) printer paper. This drawing paper runs at 80 lbs. (130 grams), and it does seem like drying times are rather long.

So? Would I buy this ink again? Not... exactly. It runs at six dollars for one 15 ml. bottle at the Goulet Pen Company. I paid more at Taipei. That's expensive. Like, forty cents per milliliter expensive. For someone who buys Noodler's, Private Reserve, and J. Herbin, it's a little bit out of my league.

You can purchase 15 ml. bottles of Royal Blue at The Goulet Pen Company for $6.00.

No comments:

Post a Comment