Pages

Thursday, June 30, 2011

On the Pen Triangle

The problem with liking stationery is that a lot of things can hit you while you're still reeling.

See, most enthusiasts know that fountain pen usage is kind of like the fire triangle. You need three things that coexist perfectly before a flame can start. For us, though, what we do not need are equal amounts of oxygen, fuel, and heat (I mean, generally).

We like our fire triangle to consist of a lot less fire and a lot more pen, paper, and ink.

Which brings me back to my first point.

When you start falling into the addiction of pens, you're gazing so intently on them that you don't see Ink coming at you with a baseball bat named Love Me, Please. And before you know it you're looking at pens and ink. Don't get me started on paper. Paper is a damsel in distress that waves at you from her high tower while you grit your teeth.

What I'm trying to say is, one minute you're looking at pens, the next you're looking at ink, and before long you're sobbing into your keyboard while you put one more notebook into your shopping cart.

It's disconcerting. It's terrible. And I am okay with that.

(I don't do the sobbing part. Usually.)

But there we go. This is the conundrum that plagues us enthusiasts.

Funnily enough, we've all pretty much accepted it.

No comments:

Post a Comment